The Occupation in Figures
Nagorno-Karabakh: 1988-1992, territory 4400 km2; Shusha: may 08, 1992, territory 289 km2; Lachin: may 18, 1992, territory 1840 km2; Kalbajar: april 2, 1993, territory 3054 km2; Aghdam: july 23, 1993, territory 1150 km2; Fizuli: august 23, 1993, territory 1390 km2; Jabrayil: august 23, 1993, territory 1050 km2; Gubadli: august 31, 1993, territory 802 km2; Zangilan: october 29, 1993, territory 707 km2.

Azerbaijani foreign ministry condemns Armenia’s provocation

Azerbaijani foreign ministry condemns Armenia’s provocation

29.12.2016

Trend:

The Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry strongly condemns another provocation, committed on December 29 morning by a reconnaissance group of the Armenian armed forces on the Azerbaijan-Armenia state border and deliberate actions aimed at escalating the situation, the ministry said in a message Dec. 29.

According to the message, Armenia is trying to disrupt the negotiations by taking various provocative actions.

Armenia continues the aggression against Azerbaijan, strengthens its presence in the occupied Azerbaijani territories, maintains the status quo by trying to involve a third party in the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict instead of taking concrete actions to resolve the conflict, the ministry said.

"Azerbaijan has repeatedly stated that the continuation of Armenia’s aggression and the presence of Armenian troops in the sovereign territory of Azerbaijan is a major threat to peace and security in the region, as well as the main cause of ceasefire violation and incidents,” the message said.

“The April events which occurred as a result of Armenia’s provocation and incitement testify to it," the ministry said.

Also, the message touched upon the recent statements by the CSTO Secretary General Nikolay Bordyuzha. According to the message, Azerbaijan finds Bordyuzha’s comments on this issue one-sided.

Bordyuzha’s calling the unrecognized regime, established in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan, the "Nagorno-Karabakh Republic" in contrast to the official position of the CSTO member-states and essence of the negotiations carried out under the mediation of the OSCE Minsk Group, is unacceptable, the ministry said.

“Before making comments or statements, the CSTO secretary general must correctly analyze and assess the situation,” the message said.

Together with the OSCE Minsk Group’s co-chairmen, Azerbaijan will continue to make efforts to resolve the conflict in accordance with the norms and principles of the international law, the UN Security Council’s resolutions, eliminate the consequences of aggression and occupation by Armenia and ensure the territorial integrity and sovereignty of the country, the ministry said.

Earlier on Dec. 29, a reconnaissance group of the Armenian Armed Forces tried to violate the Azerbaijan-Armenia state border. The Armenian group found itself in the ambush of the Azerbaijani army while violating the borders.

“The enemy suffered losses in the ensuing clash and had to retreat,” said the ministry.

The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. As a result of the ensuing war, in 1992 Armenian armed forces occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts. The 1994 ceasefire agreement was followed by peace negotiations.

Armenia has not yet implemented four UN Security Council resolutions on withdrawal of its armed forces from the Nagorno-Karabakh and the surrounding districts.